Thursday, September 11, 2008

A New Way of Learning:

A Learning Theory for the Digital Age:

This article was directly related to a conversation that I had in my 797 class. One of my classmates was talking about an article about how Google is making us stupid. I completely disagreed with her arguments and this article would have been a great source of information to help me clarify my views in the conversation. The article does a great job of describing how learning is utilizing technology in the storage and retrieval of information. Though this may seem like it strengthens the argument for Google making us dumb, but the article addresses the fact that learners have to use technology as a tool for their learning. The learner has a new challenge of managing the technology. I saw this as being able to organize and recall where and what technology tool has the relevant information stored for retrieval. Additionally, I found the networking/node theory to be really accurate for the tech generation. This theory put a survival of the fittest spin on learning. Each node in a learning network is interconnected with varying amounts of connections. Those nodes with more connections are more likely to gain more connections and those nodes with the most connections are the most likely to be recalled. Good article.

No comments: